- define nutrients
- explain the difference between organic and inorganic nutrients (study with examples)
- explain the function of carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids
- explain what are macro minerals and trace elements
- describe the function of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium in the human body
- explain the function of a fertilizer
- What do the three numbers on a bag of fertilizer (21-7-7) mean?
- Explain what a pesticide is
- explain what is pest
- What is the difference between herbicides, insecticides & fungicides?
- What are the pros and cons of pesticides?
- explain the process of biomagnification
- explain the difference between organic and conventional farming
- explain what and acid and a base is
- explain how to rad a pH scale (know the numbers)
- explain how red/blue litmus paper change colour in an acidic or basic solution
- explain how Bromothymol blue changes colour in an acidic, neutral or basic solution
- explain acid rain (causes, effects on environment)
- What pH indicates acid rain?
- What gases cause acid rain? (See p. 204 and your notes)
- What is liming (acid-base neutralization)
- define pollutant and pollution
- list types of pollution
- define toxicity (acute and chronic toxicity)
- Define LD50
- What is ten difference between non-persistent and persistent pollutant?
- explain how scientist can check test water quality (biological indicators, macro invertebrates)
- What macroinvertebrates indicate good, moderate and poor water quality?
- explain the difference between point source and non-point source pollutants (study with examples)
- Explain what is ground water and aquifers
- explain the term biodegradable (study table 3.6 on p.242)
- What is hazardous waste?
- explain the difference between sanitary landfill and secure landfill
- explain what is leachate