Project #1: Photo Story
In your first project you will be working in a small group to develop a photo essay that communicates a story without using any text. You can come up with your own story (needs to be approved) or choose one from the below list. In your group you will be rotating the roles of being the photographer and actor.
Steps in creating a Photo Essay
- Step #1: Brainstorm with your team about possible stories you could tell with your camera.
- Step #2: Create a story board. Draw every scene. Write short description.
- Step #3: Shoot the story. Think about the purpose of the essay as you frame the shot. Use the framing, focus, content, and perspective to tell the story.
- What is the most important element of this photo?
- What part of the story does this photo represent?
- Use a variety of shots: extreme close-ups, closeups, high angle/low angle, rule of thirds, leading lines, etc.
- Photograph not only the central subject, but also any details critical to the story.
- Take photos that reflect a particular point of view. Just as you write text from a particular point of view, decide whether to tell the story of your photo essay from the point of view of the observer, the subject, or some other person.
- Step #4: Edit Pictures in Video Editing program