Yasmine: Buckle Up
Design a smart mobility poster
Students will create a poster, brochure or display board highlighting smart mobility in their community.
- Create a poster about the types of electric vehicles
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of electric vehicles?
- Present your poster to the class
Khadija: Transportation Tricks
Compare and contrast public transportation in global cities
Students will research three world cities and compare the public transportation systems of each.
- choose three global cities of your choice (it would be good if you choose mega cities from different continents)
- create a presentation about the public transportation systems of each
- compare and contrast them
- What are the pros and cons of the systems? (think about energy efficiency, sustainability)
- What can Canada learn from other transportation systems?
Basma: Water Works
Students will calculate the amount of water they use and determine ways to reduce it.
- Calculate how much water you use at home (water calculator)
- Create a presentation about the importance of water
- How much water is available to drink?
- How much water does the average person use at home? Research.
- Describe how families can save water at home.
- How many liters per year can a family save when following some water saving tips.
Omar: From You to Us (Do option 2)
Calculate an energy-efficient route to Canadian Geographic headquarters
Students will investigate various forms of transportation used in Canada, select one method, and determine the most energy-efficient route from their hometown to Canadian Geographic’s head office (1155 Lola St., Ottawa).
- create a presentation
- investigate various forms of transportation from Calgary to Ottawa (include in each type in your presentation)
- Use google maps to find out time, km, and energy use for each route and transportation form
- Which of the various transportation forms is the most energy -efficient?
- What are the pros and cons of this energy efficient route and transportation? (ex.: price, duration etc.)
- Reflect on this activity. How do you travel in general? Do you think about energy saving routes and transportation types? If yes, why? If not, why?
- Include in your presentation pictures of the transportation forms and google maps route.
Waleen: Do you really need it
Give up one device at home
Students will give up using one item that uses energy in their home for one day, and will reflect on the experience.
- Create a presentation and include the following:
- List all electronic devices you have at home.
- Think about each electronic device and decide if it is a need or a want. Describe what is the difference between a need and a want.
- Choose three devices from your want and needs list and describe how much energy they use daily. Research required.
- Give up one device and calculate how much energy you saved on that day. Reflect on your experience.
- Explain why it is important to save energy in your home.
- Provide three energy saving tips to the class.
Saria: Video Challenge
- PRODUCE A ONE-MINUTE PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO ABOUT WAYS TO SAVE ENERGY.
- Resarch the top five energy saving tips
- Come up with a creative idea to create the video
- You need to put a lot of effort into your video editing because the public will vote point to all videos