- Hormones during pregnancy (p.512, Figure 15.5)
- 15.2 Fetal Development Stages Table on p. 521
- The effects of teratogens on Development p.521-523 (important diagram p.522, Figure 15.12)
Chapter 14: The Continuance of Human Life
- name and explain the structures and functions of the male and female reproductive systems
- define and give an example for primary and secondary sex characteristics
- draw and label the structure of a sperm cell,
- explain the function of a sperm's acrosome, head and tail
- compare sperm cells and egg cells
- give examples of viral and bacterial sexuall transmitted infections (STI's)
- describe how STIS are transmitted and what their symptoms are
- explain how hormones control the female and male reproductive systems (booklet p. 14/17, negative feedback diagram)
- explain the function, production site, target organs of testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, GnRH, FSH, LH and inhibin
- describe in detail the menstrual cycle (ovarian cycle-follicular phase, luteal phase, uterine phase), be able to interpret the graph see booklet
- explain what is andropause and menopause
Chapter 15: Human Development
15.1 Fertilization and Embryonic Development (p.508-518)
15.3 Reproduction, Technology and Society (p.529-5
- Be able to describe the embryonic period (week 0-8)
- Explain what is fertilization (layers of ovum, how does the sperm enter the ovum?, why do so few sperm arrive in the oviduct where the egg is?)
- Define zygote (how many chromosomes has a zygote and why?
- Explain what happens during cleavage (amount of cells, morula, structure of blastocyst-trophoblast-inner cell mass)
- What is implantation? When does it happen? What is hcG? Who secretes it?
- What is gastrulation? When does it happen? (amniotic cavity, amnion, embryonic disk-ecto-, meso-, endoderm)
- Give examples of organs that develop from three primary layers (ecto-, meso-, endoderm)
- Define neurolation (neural tube, notochord). What organs develop from 3th-8th week (see your timeline)?
- Name extra-embryonic membranes. Describe their function. Label diagram (see booklet p. 13)
- Describe the structure and function of the placenta and umbilical cord
15.2 Fetal Development and Birth (p. 520-526)
- Describe the development of a fetus during second trimester and third trimester (4th month-birth)
- What are teratogens?
- What can danger the developing baby? Which phase of prenatal development is highly sensitive?
- What does FASD stand for?
- Describe the events of parturition. Explain the positive feedback diagram. Be able to label it.
- What is lactation? What is colostrum? Describe the events of lactation and suckling reflex (hormones involved)
- Define the terms sterile and infertile
- Describe the reasons why a men and a woman can be infertile
- What is artificial insemination, in Vitro fertilization, surrogate mothers and superovulation?
- What means abstinence?
- Describe surgical sterilization process in men (vasectomy) and women (tubal ligation)